Timeline of events
As we approach the end of the school year it is now timely to re-cap on the process so far. The timeline below highlights some of the major decisions that have been made and ends with key dates for the future.
- 2006 – ESF and Island School met with the Education Bureau to talk about options and funding for the redevelopment of Island School.
- Spring 2012 – ESF reached an agreement with the Government on the phasing out of the subvention, which included an agreement to subsidise the redevelopment of Island School. Additional funds needed will be supplied by ESF.
- Summer 2012 – It was decided that rebuilding sections of the school while other parts are preserved for normal school activities was not feasible as school life on a building site, for the period of redevelopment, seven to ten years, was deemed unacceptable.
- Spring to Summer 2013 – ESF and Island School worked with the Education Bureau (EDB) to find a possible temporary site for the whole school while the Borrett Road buildings are being redeveloped. A total of 12 sites were considered among which only one primary school site on Hong Kong Island was available but it was too small. Other sites were in unacceptable locations such as Tseung Kwan O. Some others were in a poor state of repair.
- Oct 2013 – The search settled on two sites offered by the EDB, one in Sha Tin Wai and the other in Tai Wai. Both are large – large enough to accommodate half of Island School with large classrooms and with good transport links. These sites are the best of the sites offered. EDB made it clear that there were no further sites to offer to ESF, and so these sites were provisionally allocated to Island School.
- Dec 2013 – The decant (move to temporary location) planning process started including communicating the plans to everyone within the Island School community.
- Jan 2014 – Architects appointed – Thomas Chow (TCA) and Schmidt Hammer & Lassen (SHL). Both firms met with teachers to understand the school’s requirements for 21st Century learning and the refurbishments necessary at the decant sites.
- May 2014 – Full parent survey conducted with Island School and all partner primary schools. Parents were asked for their opinion on what to prioritise during the decant process and to raise any concerns that they might have at this early stage.
- Jun 2014 – Survey findings published on redevelopment website.
- Feb 2015 to Jun 2016 – Staff, parents and students representatives visited the decant schools.
- Oct 2015 – Curriculum leaders and senior staff drew up timetables and wellbeing plans to be used at the decant sites. Department teams met to plan how they would ensure excellence in teaching and learning.
- April 2016 – A travel survey looking at different options for students and staff to get to Sha Tin Wai and Tai Wai was conducted. The results show that most students plan to get to the new schools via MTR. It takes 30 to 36 minutes to travel from Central to Tai Wai or Sha Tin Wai MTR stations.
- Jun 2016 – Finalise refurbishment plans for the decant schools to ensure work starts as soon as confirmation is received from EDB.
- Aug 2016 – Finalise plans for the redeveloped building at Borrett Road.
- Aug 2017– Target date for Island School to move into the decant schools.
- Aug 2021 – Target date for Island School to move into the new building at Borrett Road.
The proposed dates are subject to change.
Next Information Session: 20 June 2016
A celebration of Island School’s Achievements and the next stages of relocation and redevelopment . Everyone in the Island School community is invited to an evening of celebration of Island School’s achievements in 2015-2016 and a discussion on the next stages of relocation and redevelopment.
At this meeting we will talk about curriculum updates, the current decant and redevelopment situation and some of the highlights from the recent Council of International Schools Report.
Details of the event are as follows:
- Time: 6.30pm
- Date: 20 June 2016
- Location: Island School
If you wish to attend this event please email email@example.com to confirm your attendance.